Friends Online Report 2017
Every third child in Sweden has been exposed to degrading treatment online during the past year, and very fifth girl in the ages 10-16 years has also been subjected to sexual harassment online. This is the fifth consecutive year that the Friends Online Report is being published. This year’s report also looked into whether adults are good role models online. Half of the respondents have seen adults treat other adults badly online, and one in 10 say they’ve seen this frequently. The older the young person, the more likely that they have witnessed adults behave badly online – 8 of 10 16-year-olds answered “Yes, all the time”, or “Yes, sometimes”.
Friends Report 2016
This is the first time Friends has investigated the situation for the youngest children in school – preschool to third grade. The results are published in the 2016 Friends Report and show that four out of ten students feel unsafe somewhere at school and one out of four students are afraid to be left alone at recess. Friends has, just like previous years, also asked questions to students in grade 3-6 and 6-9, as well as staff. Other noteworthy results from this year’s questionnaires include:
- 7.5 % of the students in grade 3-9 have been subjected to bullying in the past year.
- One in five students in grade 3-9 have been subjected to degrading treatment by another student in the past year.
- 19% of the students in grade 3-6 subjected to degrading treatment say it was related to the country they are from.
- 11% of the students in grade 6-9 subjected to degrading treatment say it was related to their ethnicity.
- Both bullying and acts of degrading treatment are more common among students in grades 4-6 than in grades 7-9.
Friends Online Report 2016
Friends Online Report, mapping Swedish children and young peoples’ life online, is published today for the fourth year in a row. The report builds on 1,015 interviews made by TNS Sifo with children between 10 and 16 years old.
Some other conclusions in the Friends Online Report 2016, produced in collaboration with HP PPS Sweden AB, Hewlett Packard Enterprise and Symantec, are:
- One third of young people have been subjected to online harassment or intimidation in the past year.
- Three in ten young people experience racially motivated harassment or intimidation online.
- 55 % of young people talk to an adult at home if they have been subjected to bullying, harassment or intimidation online.
- Kik is the most common place for harassment or intimidation in social media.
- 8 % of girls and 5 % of boys have been subjected to bullying via mobile phone, computer or tablets in the past year.
Friends Report 2015
60,000 children and adolescents are subjected to bullying in Sweden. That represents 1-2 children in every class. In the Friends Report 2015, 15,000 children and adolescents in grades 3-9 answered questions about bullying in school. The report shows, among other things, that 8 percentage are subjected to bullying, and in half of the cases the bullying has been ongoing for several months or longer.
Power of peers – Bullying prevention in the digital age
From Youth Participation in Bullying Prevention -project and Co-founded by the European Union.